ENCLOSE A KOSSEL / DELTA 3D PRINTER
I’ve just got the new 3D printer and decided to upgrade it.
Enclosing it is coming at the top of my list. After finding out that most of the available designs on the internet are showing how to enclose the Cartesian 3D printer, not the Delta so it’s time to do it myself.
Now, let’s get started.
There are 3 things I want to achieve in this project: light weight, good appearance and cheap. After doing some quick drafts, here is my final design.
We will have 3 doors and it can open. However, in normal use, the left and right doors will be fixed into the frame, only the front door can be opened. When we need to maintain, we just need to unscrew them.
In addition, I realize part of the extruder can sometimes pass to the outside of the printer while printing large object. Therefore, I give it some spaces between frame and door.
2. Materials and printed parts
2mm acrylic sheets will be used for the coverage because it’s transparent, cheap and pretty easy to cut to the desired size.
Please find in the list below all the materials needed for this project:
- 3x Acrylic sheet 2mm x 302mm x 600mm (big sheet)
- 6x Acrylic sheet 2mm x 50mm x 600mm (small sheet)
- 8x M3x30mm bolts
- 50x M3x10mm bolts
- M3 T-nuts
- M3 nuts and washers
You can find all the printed parts here: www.thingiverse.com/thing:2943798
- 3x Part_1
- 3x Part_2
- 5x Part_2_Mirror
- 2x Part_3
- 12x Part_4
- 2x Part_5
3. Print settings
- Material: PLA
- Support: No
- Resolution: 0.2mm/layer
- Infill: 20%
- Temperature: 190 (C)
- Step 1: Assemble 3 back hinges using 3x Part_1, 3x Part_2 and 3x Part_2_Mirror
- Step 2: Connect 1 big sheet with 2 small sheets using Part_4, M3x10mm bolts, and nuts. After that, we will have 3 doors after this step (1 left, 1 right, 1 front)
- Step 3: Attach acrylic sheets to the hinges to create the left and right doors and move the power supply to the bottom
- Step 4: Attach left and right doors to your Kossel.
- Step 5: Because Left and right doors do not need to open always, let’s directly attach them to the front aluminum extrusion. The hinge at step 1 will help hold the doors in case you want to maintain your 3d printer later.
- Step 6: Using 2x Part_2_Mirror and 2x Part_3 to create 2 front hinges.
- Step 7: Attach the front door along with the front hinges to your 3D printer using M3x10mm bolts, washer, and T-nuts.
- Step 8: Put 1 round magnet into Part_5 and attach to the aluminum extrusion. It will help lock the front door.
- Step 9: Using super glue and attach a steel washer to the front door.
And here is what we got after all these steps:
Let’s take a look with this video below
Let’s check it out other posts of mine to add light to Kossel 3D printer if you guys want to put some LEDs into your machine.